As this junction is controlled by traffic light right of way generally isn’t an issue however it can become quite tricky at times especially during rush hour traffic and when schools finish.
Things you need to watch out for if you are coming from the Maynooth Square direction are:
- Make sure you get into your correct lane position in good time.
If you are going straight towards the Castle or turning left going up towards the Train Station then approach in the left lane. If you are following the road round heading towards Kilcock direction make sure you don’t turn into the filter lane too early or you risk the possibility of a collision with oncoming traffic. Don’t worry if the lights are still red for turning right and you are blocking up traffic behind wanting to go on straight, there is nothing you can do except wait for your green filter arrow.
- If you are the first car in the queue at the red lights and they turn green please make sure there are no pedestrians still looking to cross late, if the pedestrian has already started to cross the road then yield to them, remember a green light means “proceed with caution”.
- If you are the first car in the queue and turning left at the red lights, when they turn green please make sure you have a quick glance over your left shoulder and left wing mirror to ensure a cyclist hasn’t slipped up on the inside.
- If you are turning right towards Kilcock direction remember the yellow box rule i.e. you can only enter a yellow box if you can clear it without stopping. The one exception is that you can stop in it if you turning right and your exit is clear. Please don’t enter the yellow box if traffic is backed up ahead of you going to Kilcock. You run the risk of the traffic lights changing colour and you blocking up the junction.
Things you need to watch out for if you are coming from the Kilcock Road direction are:
Make sure you get into your correct lane position in good time.
If you following the road round to the left heading into main street then stay in the left lane and watch for the green filter arrow to allow you to proceed. If you are going straight towards the Train Station or turning right to go towards the Castle direction make sure again that you don’t enter the filter lane to early. Also be aware of traffic exiting from Pound Lane.
- If you are going straight towards the Train Station wait till you have a main green light and then proceed with caution, be very wary of pedestrians making a late dash to cross and of traffic coming from the Train Station direction. You do have right of way but that doesn’t always mean other road users will obey!
- If you are turning right up towards the Castle direction and you have a green light you must yield right of way to the traffic coming from the Train Station direction, whether that traffic is turning left towards the Castle direction or going straight on towards the Kilcock direction. You can now proceed if the road is clear
Things you need to watch out for if you are coming from the Train Station direction are:
- If turning left and the light is green ensure there is nothing on your left hand side blind spot before proceeding left. As always scan across the junctions for pedestrians as you will be driving across a pedestrian crossing.
- If going straight towards Kilcock direction scan left and right as you proceed on the green light. Again be wary of pedestrians crossing ahead. Pedestrians are unpredictable, as drivers we were once pedestrians too!!
- If turning right heading up towards the Square, proceed with caution on the green light. Be particularly cautious to ensure traffic coming from the Square direction and Kilcock direction has come to a full stop; sometimes you can get people trying to “beat the orange lights”. Also as before be wary of pedestrians because again you will be driving across a pedestrian crossing.
Things you need to watch out for if you are coming from the Castle direction are:
- Get your correct lane position early, if going left you are in the left filter lane, if going straight towards the Square or turning right towards the Train Station you are in the right hand lane.
- If you are turning left and the light is green is on, after checking to see that there are no pedestrians still crossing and checking your left hand side blind spot for cyclists you can proceed with caution.
- If turning right towards the Train Station and the light is green you do have right of way over traffic coming from other directions. Please ensure junction is clear of pedestrians before.
- Now the tricky one. If you are going straight and the light is green remember the yellow box rule i.e. you can only enter a yellow box if you can clear it without stopping. Please don’t enter the yellow box if traffic is backed up ahead of you going towards the Square direction. You run the risk of the traffic lights changing colour and you blocking up the junction. This last case is something we see regularly and is caused by the traffic being backed up due the red traffic lights at the Square. Be patient and the traffic will move.
If there is anything you are unsure of above or if there are similar junctions you’d like to discuss just leave a comment below