Trailer Towing Driving Lessons
If you hold a Full category B licence, you may tow a trailer only if:
- the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer is 750kg or less, or
- the unladen (empty) weight of your towing vehicle is at least the same as the trailer's design gross vehicle weight, and the combined design gross vehicle weight of the vehicle and trailer is no more than 3,500kg.
When using a vehicle to tow a heavier trailer (more than 750kg), you must hold a category EB licence.
Without the correct licence, you are not insured and could be prosecuted.
|Category||Vehicle Type||Minimum Age|
|B||Vehicles with seats for up to 8 passengers and a maximum weight of 3,500kg (includes pulling a trailer where the maximum weight of the trailer when fully loaded is 750kg or less)||17 Years|
|EB||Combinations of vehicles with drawing vehicle in category B and where the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer is greater than 750kg.||17 Years|
Whether you are new to trailer towing, need refresher lessons or want to pass your EB towing test, we can provide a course of trailer towing lessons tailored to suit your needs in Maynooth, Celbridge, Leixlip, Clane, Kilcock and the surrounding areas.
The training will cover:
- coupling and uncoupling procedures
- vehicle and trailer safety checks including electrical systems
- load and weight distribution
- coverage of test routes and thorough driving test preparation
Our experienced instructors will help you to achieve your goal quickly and affordably, therefore reducing the cost of your trailer towing lessons.
Price: €40 per hr
You must complete your lessons in your own vehicle and trailer.
Here are top tips for trailer towing:
- A category B driving licence allows you to drive a car, van or 4×4 which the maximum weight does not exceed 3,500kg.
- Drivers holding a B licence can tow trailers weighing less then 750kg.
- If the trailer weight exceeds 750kg, the combined maximum weight of the towing vehicle and the trailer must not exceed 3,500kg.
- Generally a category B licence does not entitle the holder to tow a horsebox or a livestock trailer because the combined maximum weight would exceed 3,500kg.
- The maximum speed limit for a vehicle towing a trailer is 80km/h, this applies on all roads.
Ensure you are aware of the towing capacity of your vehicles and that trailers are in safe working order.
- The towing capacity and load carrying of your vehicle must also be examined.
- It is the responsibility of the individual drawing the trailer to insure that it is road worthy and free from defects.
- To be fully compliant while towing you must be taxed, insured and the vehicle must have passed the NCT or CVRT
- All drivers towing trailers are responsible for learning how to couple/uncouple a trailer safely.
- Loads must be evenly distributed and securely tied down.
- Special care is needed when towing a trailer as your vehicle will handle differently.
- Take note of the vehicle identification number (VIN), it is usually stamped on the trailer chassis.